Wednesday, November 16, 2005

That's the Way I Feel...

It’s nearly 11 am and the phone is already ringing off the hook. People that know me know I can’t be bothered until after lunchtime. But, for some reason there’s something about today that has everyone needing to tell me something.

Apparently, some of my friends feel my column was being attacked by the DA’s Deputy Editor. Umm, big fucking deal. So, by the second cup of coffee, the mix of sugar, caffeine, artificial hazelnut and curiosity gets me to check the website.

So they have him penning a new “night life” column. Hate to break it to you, but if it’s written in the same ho-hum book report style that you write everything else in, then no one’s going to read it. So you can go ahead and save your cab fare. Don’t try to sass me, like Margaret Cho, I was raised by drag queens.

What the staff doesn’t seem to understand is that the reason why I wrote in such an “exclusive” tone is because the readers are smart enough to know what I’m talking about. The majority of the people that read my column GO OUT. There’s no fine line between knowing your audience and belaboring the obvious.

Word travels fast in the queer community. This blog is proof of that. I’m getting more response off this blog than any column I wrote for DA. It shows people are interested in what I have to say. I like the fact that I have good friends in the night life industry. And, I have a lot of them. None of my readers are average and Guest List was/is written for them. It entertains the people that entertain everyone else.

Go ahead and make your rounds, write about it and the response will be along the same lines of my own reaction: Big fucking deal.

No comments: