Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Secret Agent Mommy

Prelude: For the record, my mom could never work at a job that involved stealth of any kind. She has the subtlety of a sledgehammer sometimes. But, that's one of the many reasons why I love her.

The Build-Up: The other day, I was talking to my Sis-In-Law, Heather. Heather's awesome, she totally cracks me up and always offers some insightful advice. Not to mention, girl's got some serious recipe action when it comes to feeding large groups of finicky eaters. Anywho, while I was on the phone with Heather, JW walked through the door. Naturally, Heather has known about JW and was all, by the way, I was talking to Mom the other day and asked her what she thought of JW.

I was a bit mortified. I hadn't told Mom about JW yet.

Here's the thing, I don't really talk about my relationships with my Mom. Whether my reluctance to talk about significant others is in order to protect the family or the significant other is a toss-up. Maybe it's a little bit of both. Or, maybe I have a mental block and consider gay relationships too temporary to bring up as a topic of interest. More on this later.

At any rate, Heather had unintentionally let the proverbial cat out of the bag. With this knowledge, I waited for the ambush.

The Punch-Line:
Valentine's Day Evening:
(Ring)
Me: Hi Mommy.
Mom: Hi Honey, how are you?
Me: I'm good, how goes it?
Mom: Everything is fine, baby.
Me: Oh good.
Mom: So...
Me: So?
Mom: Got plans for tonight?
Me: (thinking that V-Day plans happened the previous night into lunch that day) Nope.
Mom: Really? Not going on a Valentine's Day date tonight?
Me: (knowing full well I wasn't lying) Nope.
Mom: Oh...
Me: Yup, just going to read a book and go to bed early tonight.
Mom: Well, I just thought...
Me: (Controlling laughing) thought what Mommy?
Mom: Oh, nothing.
Me: Well, ok - talk to you later then. G'night Mommy, love you!
Mom: Love you too, baby.

Oh stop, this doesn't make me a bad person.

No comments: