Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm Not Here For Your Entertainment

It seems like I've been a raging lunatic lately. I haven't been cussing people out per se, but I have been more, umm, let's say honest with them. You know how people say or do something stupid and in your attempt to be polite, you simply ignore it, let it slide or don't even justify it with a response? Yeah, not it. Well, not anymore.

The other night, each and every one of us at work had to sign a company memo saying we would not drink on our shifts all weekend long. Ok, no problem. The shit is not permanent; it's just for this particular weekend. Cool, give me the pen, I'll sign it. Why did one of our FRONT DOOR staff get busted drinking? How fucking stupid. It's less than eight hours, people. Fucking eh, let's try to be a bit more inconspicuous, shall we? Busted, no explanation needed, have a nice night and we MIGHT talk about it tomorrow. I hate to sound insensitive, but are you kidding me?

These are rules, they are absolute. You signed that you read and will comply with them. These policies are not written simply so you can figure out how you can get around them. They are there for your protection. But, fuck the rules. I know, let's throw them all out the window and do whatever the fuck we want. But, that's ok, those rules are there for entertainment purposes anyway, not for anything serious, right?

Ok, moving forward, or backward in this case. I get a phone call:

"Is it ok to stop by and have a drink with you?"

Me: No, it's kind of a crazy night, rain check?

"..."

Me: Ok, I gotta run, I'm about to go into a meeting.

Then, I get the text message:

"i'm coming by, ok?"

Me: Not really a good time. Talk later.

He comes by anyway. I can't hang out or have a quick drink. He gets upset and calls. I'm in another meeting and can't talk, he throws a hissy fit and leaves. I get annoyed.

I decided next week, I'm going to drink a fifth of vodka and show up at his office. It should be fun. And, if he doesn't have time to chat, I, too shall throw a hissy fit; I shall send several text messages and not attempt to understand that HE is at WORK, trying to make a living, trying to be professional.

After all, he is there simply for my entertainment.

No comments: