Monday, January 22, 2007

Check, Mate?

One of my mentors advised me to approach every job as a game of chess. The reason being he said was that "in our business, a hand shake means next to nothing and contracts get broken every day." So, here I am playing chess. And, I think I'm pretty good at chess.

Don't get me wrong, I heart me job, but I'm not naive enough to think anything is permanent especially in "our business." Quite simply, it's a slippery slope but luckily, I've lived in Florida, I know how to deal with an overabundance of moisture.

Now, here's where it gets interesting: So you're playing this game of chess and you're thinking three moves ahead, not two, you've got your opponent figured out and you've even got him on the run. You're pretty much kicking ass when you realize that before the game is even finished that another game with another opponent has started. What do you do when you've been concentrating so hard on the first task that the second game already has you down a couple of pawns?

Yup, call in the Queen. Or, in my case, an army of them.

No comments: