Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ladies Lunching

My shopping extravaganza has been postponed thanks to the rain. And, by "extravaganza," I actually mean Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond. Oh, and Publix. Where, apparently, shopping is a pleasure.

Yesterday, the boys got together for another one of our infrequent Friday lunches. Platypus and I decided a cocktail was in order since it was Friday and opted for the Coconut Mojitos. Now, I'm not a big rum person, but f'n yuuum. Unfortunately, RB has a new constriction on his eating schedule so this one wasn't as leisurely as usual. Well, if you don't count the drinks. Ferg showed up a pinch late, but got there just in time to see RB hit it back to "gay hell."

Without calling anyone out, one member of our party was brave enough to slip his number to a neighboring table as we made our group exit.

I have to give him props, I rarely send the phone number out there unless it's at least an 80% certainty it's coming back. Our bold party member explained later that he felt bad for the guy since it looked like he had been stood up. (How did I miss that?)

"It's like he was trying to play it off," said ATPTI, "and he was really cute."

"Well, it's a good thing you didn't draw more attention to him," I responded.

I started thinking about it some more. I can't recall the last time I ate out alone. If I ever do, it's more out of convenience. It's like if I'm having a horribly busy day and I need to decompress, I'll sit somewhere and have a bite to eat going over the rest of the shit I have to do, you know? And, typically, it's usually a non-peak hour time of the day like 3 or 4, where you don't get the "aww, poor sucker, he's all alone" shit talking as illustrated above.

On the other hand, this solo diner did get a phone number from a complete stranger and all. And, not for nothing, but my friends are hella-cute so he definitely should have taken it as a compliment.

At the end of the day though, it was a sympathy cruise card and, us, the bastards at the next table over were certainly talking about him. In other words, did it balance out? In the greater scheme of things, probably. The shot to the ego he took from being stood-up was cancelled out by getting cruised methinks.

Now, did anyone else notice he was wearing a wedding band?

4 comments:

Ferg said...

Ladies lunching? Sounds like we're part of the red hat society. You know what they say about ladies that wear red hats?????

No nickers! I'm just saying!

Over The Counter said...

I always thought that those "ladies" wearing Red Hats were Trannies.....

Ferg said...

JD, all you think about are trannies, hot ones, fierce ones, messy ones, ones from Transylvania. I think someone is obsessed!

Arman R said...

Trannies are fun! I mean, instinctively people jump out of their way, they skip lines and always get comped drinks. Oh wait, that's kind of the entire circle of friends isn't it?

Yeah, I got nothing.