Monday, December 03, 2007

'Tis the Season

Last night was the Annual Toy Party. If there are two events in Atlanta that I make it a point to get to every year, it's Joining Hearts in July and Toy Party in December. Both are just such good causes that you can't help but have a good time.

So, here's the deal, you buy a toy and bring it with you to the event. You play dress up, donate the toy and drink the house down. Yeah, good times. Even better is the shopping expedition to buy the toy with the boys. This year, it was at Target with Ferg, E and CC. While all of us ended up buying toys for boys (I picked the Diego Lego Set), I noticed some were spending way too much time with the Barbies and Bratz Dolls. We won't talk about Ferg debating on the robot puppies. But, yeah, they were definitely cute.

As per usual, by the time the event rolled around, several people up and cancelled. But, alas, Ferg was still game and Ad-Rock was already en route. We had a blast. One of the reasons why I adore this event is all the people you run into that you haven't seen in ages. Everybody loves a good benefit. I suspect it's cause it makes them feel so cosmopolitan, you know? Ferg and I ran into some of our favorite alcoholics - xoxoJeffrey, Alfono and AtlantaBoy. We also ran into some ex-trade here (mostly Ferg's Spicy Chicken) and there and a whole lot of cuteness that doesn't exist in the bar and club scene. I coulda swore that was Anderson Cooper. But, bygones.

Now, the trick to enjoying yourself at Toy Party is to work the drink lines. One never really stands in line for the cocktails, you simply walk up and down until you discover somebody you know towards the front, feign a conversation and kind of merge into them. Either that or hand your tickets off and ask them to order your drink for you. I discovered this nifty trick years ago and it works like a charm. It beats the fifty plus person deep line at each bartender.

I also learned that you hit it out of there no later than 8:30 or risk getting stuck in the Parking Garage for up to 45 minutes killed down. Yeah, once you do that with NPB in the car with you, you kinda learn not to take your chances. We ended up at Joe's cause I was s t a r v i n g and was able to convince Ferg to eat with me. He's always so good and orders some fried chicken salad thing. I go straight for the fried stuff dipped in heavy sauces. Ah well, 'tis the season and all that...

1 comment:

AdamATL said...

Great to see you at the Toy Party and later at Joe's, Arman! I'll definitely remember those tricks next year. I was foolish enough to actually stand in one of those lines! Never again... thanks!