Sunday, October 30, 2005

That's my girl...

LAST NIGHT, BARRY HARRIS CALLED OUT FROM HIS GIG AT JUNGLE. Just by working with the man in the past, I can truly say that he must have been pretty close to his death bed to not take the gig -- I mean, the man has got integrity.

So, in a very big leap of faith, Brad booked Kim Crawford to play substitute DJ. I say leap of faith because although Brad knows of Kim's reputation, he wasn't too familiar with her sound. I, however, am a hands-down-hardcore-the-bitch-kicks-ass type fan. I've seen what she can do with a dance floor whether there's 300 people or 3,000 people on it.

I can truly say the crowd went up for Kim last night. I was so proud of her. One of my favorite parts of last night was being up in the booth getting Kim to spin some of my favorite tunes like Jason Nevins' remix of "Nothing Fails" and just because, some "Heart Attack." From time to time a few people came up there to say that Kim was amazing and to find out who it was behind the tables. Brad even came up to me a couple of times to tell me that she was "kicking ass."

A few weeks ago, I remember having a heart-to-heart with Kim about where she "fits in" Atlanta's soundscape. She felt she wasn't "Tribal" or "Diva-Vocal-Tribal" enough for the gay masses who ideally is her target audience. I told her that there are a lot of talented DJs out there that have been playing for twice as long as she has but haven't received half the recognition that she's already accomplished. I did tell her to stick to her sound since it has done wonders for her thus far. Honestly, that's advice she didn't even need -- she won't concede to the musical trend du jour anyway.

And, last night proved she won't ever have to.

Yeah, that's my girl.

No comments: